Our Gifted and Talented Philosophy
Gifted and talented students have unique academic and affective needs. Administrators and teachers support a philosophy that emphasizes the need for a challenging learning environment that focuses on high achievement for every gifted and talented student. Programming for gifted and talented students must be responsive to individual needs and must recognize the multiple talents, challenges, and cultural diversity of the district's population.
The Jenison Public School District provides opportunities for optimal learning to ensure that gifted and talented students will perform at levels commensurate with their abilities. Gifted and talented students should be provided dynamic, challenging educational programming at every level throughout their school career.
DISTRICT BELIEF STATEMENTS
The Jenison Public School District recognizes a set of core beliefs regarding gifted and talented students and their education. Those beliefs include:
- Gifted and talented students have unique and varied cognitive and affective abilities and needs.
- Gifted and talented students appear in all populations.
- Gifted and talented students should be provided programming which fosters maximum academic and personal growth.
- Gifted and talented students should learn in an environment where their gifts and abilities are acknowledged, valued, and nurtured.
- Gifted and talented students should be provided appropriate and varied programming options throughout their school career.
- Gifted and talented students require adequate support, including direct instruction, to maximize their academic potential.
- Gifted and talented students need choice throughout their school career.
- Early recognition of and appropriate educational responses to gifted and talented students are essential.
- Providing appropriate programming for gifted and talented students is a responsibility shared by classroom teachers, specials teachers, gifted and talented specialists, administrators, and parents.
- Gifted and talented students must be active participants in and share responsibility for their own learning.
The following links will provide you with additional information about the various accelerated programs offered by JPS.