Enrollment Information & Forms

Kindergarten Programs

Jenison Public Schools offers both Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten programs for children who will be five years old on or before September 1, 2016.  (Waiver forms are available for students turning five between September 1 and December 1.) 

A creative, nurturing staff delivering a developmentally appropriate, yet challenging, curriculum makes the  Kindergarten experience a powerful start to your child’s education.

  • Transitional Kindergarten is a full-day, every day program meeting at our Early Childhood Center. 
  • In addition, we will be offering one section of Half-day Transitional Kindergarten (morning only) provided we have a minimum of 20 students enrolled.
  • Our exemplary Kindergarten program is a full-day, every day program meeting at each of our five elementary schools.

All Kindergarten programs are available to children who reside in Jenison as well as the surrounding area.  Through the Schools of Choice program, Jenison Public Schools accepts students residing in Ottawa, Kent, Allegan, and Muskegon counties without the necessity of a release from the district of residence.

Kindergarten Screening

All children entering either Kindergarten program are screened prior to placement.  Click here to schedule a screening appointment. Please contact Lorri at 457-8839 or via email at Lgierman@JPSonline.org with questions.

Spanish Immersion Kindergarten

Jenison Public Schools also offers a Spanish Immersion Kindergarten program.  In this program, English speaking students will learn the district’s rigorous core academic program through instruction in Spanish.  Spanish is the means of content instruction, not just a subject of instruction.  Many research studies have shown the effectiveness of language immersion programs in language and cognitive development. 

Student Enrollment

Welcome to Jenison Public Schools!  We are dedicated to providing your child the best possible education.  In order to make the registration process easier for you, we recommend you take a few minutes to download the following enrollment packet:

 At the time of enrollment you will also need to provide us with:

  • Proof of Residency (photocopy of utility bill, house buy/sell agreement, or rental agreement).
  • Up-To-Date Immunization Record.
  • Photocopy of your child’s original Certified Birth Certificate. 
    Please note it must be a certified copy not the hospital certificate that shows the child's footprints. If you don't have a certified birth certificate, you can order one from the County Clerk's Office in the county where your child was born. you may download ordering instructions for Kent or Ottawa County by clicking on the appropriate link:
  • PDF DocumentKent
  • PDF DocumentOttawa

Additional Forms:

Based on the grade in which your child will be enrolled, please bring your completed registration forms and required documents to the appropriate Jenison Public School office listed below:

Grades TK-6
Administration Office (inside the Center for the Arts)
8375 20th Ave.
Jenison, MI 49428
616-457-8890 Phone
616-457-8898 Fax
616-457-8839 Registrar
Office Hours 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (Open Year Round)

Grades 7-8
Jenison Junior High School 
8295 20th Ave.
Jenison, MI 49428
616-457-457-1402 Phone
616-457-8090 Fax
616-667-3250 Guidance Office
Office Hours 7:30 a.m-2:30 p.m.

Grades 9-12
Jenison High School
2140 Bauer Rd. 
Jenison, MI 49428 
616-457-3400 Phone
616-457-4070 Fax
616-667-3360 Guidance Office
Office Hours 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Schools of Choice

Jenison Public Schools offer outstanding instructional and extra-curricular programs and, through Schools of Choice, is pleased to offer these programs to non-resident students.  Most students residing within the Ottawa, Kent, Muskegon, or Allegan Counties may attend Jenison Public Schools under Schools of Choice. 

How does Schools of Choice work?
Districts across West Michigan have agreed to accept and release students across district boundaries.  Parents need only complete a Schools of Choice Application. You may download the application form:

If one child is accepted, will siblings be accepted?
Yes, siblings are accepted provided they meet the requirements. Once children are enrolled they are considered Jenison Public Schools students until graduation, provided no major discipline or truancy problems arise.

Can I request a specific school building?
Yes, we will make every effort to honor your request. If classes are full at your requested building you will be notified and we will work with you prior to placing your child at another building.

Is transportation available for Schools of Choice students?
Students who live outside of the Jenison Public Schools enrollment boundaries are not normally transported.  However, this decision is based on whether the student can be picked up at an existing bus stop.  Our transportation department will work with you in determining if transportation is available.

If you have additional questions regarding Schools of Choice, please contact our registrar, Lorri Gierman at 457-8839.