- Last Updated on 11 August 2014
Welcome to Jenison Junior High
Junior high years are a time of discovery. They’re the all important two-year link between the carefree life of elementary school children and the responsibilities and challenges of young adults as they begin thier high school experience. Junior high is a place of transition that helps children cope with the emotional and physical changes confronting them. For many adolescents, junior high is the crossroads in their physical, emotional, and social lives. Strong feelings, new moods, different interests, and new desires emerge. Friends become all important and parents are sometimes pushed away. As parents, though, we must accept and gently guide this "new" person, providing stability and love during what can be a very confusing time of life.
Jenison Junior High School attempts to provide a stable learning environment throughout this period. Students who walk through our doors will find challenges that they did not face in elementary school. These challenges include six classes which are taught by six different teachers, each having their own distinct style and expectations of performance. A broad range of subjects and activities open many doors for intellectual and personal growth. Academic and extracurricular activities will help students to assess personal strengths and weaknesses. The insight gained will enable students to make appropriate high school course selections and to make sound career choices.
Before leaving the junior high, students will be expected to demonstrate growth in each of the following areas:
- Respecting others and recognizing individual differences;
- Exhibiting healthy, positive self-esteem;
- Communicating effectively through listening, speaking, reading, and writing;
- Utilizing critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Being responsible decision-makers;
- Working cooperatively and productively;
- Demonstrating an awareness of and need to be involved in global and cultural issues;
- Understanding the importance of learning throughout life;
- Participating in diverse learning opportunities;
- Pursuing excellence in all endeavors.
It is important that we work together to insure that students have a positive and successful junior high school experience. Parental interest in school activities and open communication between home and school are critical to enable students to pass confidently into their high school experience.
Supplies that you will want to purchase before school begins:
- A binder such as a trapper keeper to hold folders and papers.
- Pencils and a pen or two and a place to keep them.
- 8th grade students ONLY need a 1 inch 3-ring binder for science class.
- Five or six two pocket folders (one for each class).
- A scientific calculator - A Texas Instrument TI-30x IIS model has been recommended by our math textbook publisher. If you own or purchase a model of calculator other than the Texas Instrument, check carefully to see if function keys are the same or similar to this model.
- A MEAD COMPOSITION notebook for your language arts class. This notebook can be purchased from your language arts teacher at a cost of $1.00.
- Colored Pencils
Showing understanding of others by treating them with kindness, compassion, generosity, and a forgiving spirit.
A firm adherence to a code of moral values. Being honest, trustworthy and incorruptible.
Doing my part at home, school, and in my community. Supporting the best common good.
Demonstrating hard work controlling your emotions, words, impulses, and desires. Giving your best in all situations.